Work Permit Information for Minors

Students must be 14 years of age to apply for a work permit. All students under the age of 18 must apply for a work permit in order to legally obtain paid employment. Students, ages 16 and 17, must have a valid work permits for paid employment during the school year only. Students ages 14 and 15 must obtain valid work permits for employment at all times of the year.

You must complete all three parts on two pages. Be sure to have the Physician's Certificate (Item 3) with you.


Page 1
1. Application for Minor Work Permit - Students must complete the application, it must be signed by a parent or guardian.
2. Pledge of Employer - The employer must complete their part on the application, be sure the employer fills in the Employer's Tax ID Number (9 digits) and estimated days per week, hours per day and starting and quitting times.

Page 2
3. Physician's Certificate- the student must have a physical or a copy of a physical within the past year (copy of sports physical is acceptable).

After all sections have been completed, return them to the Administration office, 141 Lloyd Rd, West Union, OH (7:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Mon-Fri) with proof of ID (in order to verify date of birth, drivers license, driving permit, or birth certificate are acceptable) to obtain the work permit. The student applying for the work permit must bring the application in, it is necessary for the student to present these forms because his/her signature is required on the work permit form that is sent to the employer. The student must sign the actual work permit once the information on the application is entered into the computer and submitted to the Wage and Hour Division, OBES. Refer to page 24 in the Adams County/Ohio Valley Schools Student Handbook.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call our office at 937-544-5586 ext. 17110.